Saturday, October 15, 2005

Autumn is here.

Well autumn is here... and it's actually begun acting like it! The leaves in some parts have started changing to yellow, orange, red, and brown. Most of the leaves on the trees in Columbus have just tarnished to an odd shade of green and they'll probably turn straight to brown and fall off.
We had been staying with my sister during the week and commuting to school and work and coming up to my parents house on the weekends. We decided after almost being robbed that we needed a place to feel safe. I'm all done with class, but I have two finals on Monday and one on Tuesday. Amber has finished her last day of work. I have a few scattered days of work left, and we figure we need to get out of everywhere for a little while. We are pretty behind on our bills so we are taking the advice of our own tarot reading which has just recently been realized. We are taking a step back, seeking refuge, and returning home until after the holidays are over with. We have done a lot of reflecting and we've both experienced a lot in the past couple of months. We both think rather than throw ourselves at the mercy of West Virginia in our current condition, we should reset, get seasonal jobs, get caught up on our bills, fix our beloved (but needy) VW Van, maybe even save some money, and just allow some stability into our lives for a while, if only for a moment. I think we owe it to ourselves to set sail with sanity.
Meanwhile Abner the stationwagon has been treating us well. He has become our main mode of transportation because of the space in the back. It's so wonderful: we have been keeping our guitars back there at all times and we have room for bags and luggage whenever we need to bring it somewhere. If only he didn't piss out transmission fluid like a drunkard, we would be set for now with him. Also: his 25mph maximum handling of any hill too high to see over calls his vacuum integrity into question. We like him, though.
I learned to sleep in the back quite comfortably as I had been doing so every morning in the parking lot of Caribou while Amber was still working. Amber went to work at 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning but I did not have to be at class until 9 or 11, so I would throw our book bags in the front seat, let down the adjacent rag rug curtains, tuck up the fore and aft towel curtains, crawl under the sleeping bag in the back and curl up to sleep beside our guitar cases. This was not the same as sleeping in the car on a dark, shitty street out of pure necessity. It was actually a comfort. There was much room, few items in the car, it was dawn, and I was in a nice place where I felt safe. Best of all, I knew Amber was safe in the coffee shop, the sun would wake me up when it rose, and I could go inside for coffee and bread or a muffin and talk to Amber and some of her co-workers before I left for school. It may not sound like much, but it was pretty nice.
Well for now I'm off to enjoy a rented movie and eat real food while sitting on a couch. Again, it may not seem like much, as I'm sure none of this does, but we have learned to appreciate things like this, and I like that.

No comments: